Have you noticed blood in the toilet after you urinate? Bloody urine has many causes, some more serious than others. Unfortunately, it's impossible to tell why you have blood in your urine unless you pay a visit to your Milford, MA, urologist, Dr. Jeffrey Steinberg of Urology Specialists of Milford.
Why you may be seeing blood
Red or pink urine can be caused by:
- An Injury: Did you recently experience a blow to your back or abdomen? The injury may have caused bleeding in your kidneys.
- Infections: An infection in your kidney or urinary tract could be the cause of the bleeding.
- Stones: Kidney or bladder stones can irritate the lining of these organs and cause bleeding.
- Kidney Infection: Bleeding isn't uncommon if you have an infection in one or both of your kidneys.
- Diseases: Polycystic kidney disease, sickle cell disease and other diseases may cause bloody urine.
- Prostate Enlargement: If you're a man, bleeding may be due to an enlarged prostate.
- Medications: Side effects from the medications you take could trigger bleeding. Heparin, aspirin and penicillin are among the drugs known to cause bleeding.
- Cancer: Cancer is another possibility if your urine is bloody. Kidney, bladder or prostate cancer could cause bleeding.
In some cases, urine color changes might not be caused by bleeding. If you've recently eaten beets, blackberries or rhubarb, or eaten food that contains red dye, your urine might look red or pink.
What to do about bloody urine?
It's important to schedule an appointment at the Milford, MA, urology office the first time you see bloody urine. Your urologist may recommend a few tests that will help him determine why your urine is bloody. Treatment options vary depending on the source of the blood. For example, you may need surgery if an injury lacerated your kidney or might need to take antibiotics if you have a urinary tract infection.
Are you worried about blood in your urine? Call (508) 473-6333 to schedule an appointment with your urologist in Milford, MA, Dr. Steinberg of Urology Specialists of Milford.