How your urologist in Milford, MA, can relive your kidney stone pain
If you’ve ever had a kidney stone, you know how excruciating they can be. Fortunately, Dr. Jeffrey Sternberg, your urologist at Urology Specialists of Milford in Milford, MA, offers a few kidney stone treatments to help you feel better.
More about Kidney Stones
You may have a kidney stone if you experience:
- Blood in your urine
- Pain when you urinate
- A feeling of having to urinate often
- Pain on your side or back
- Pain in your abdomen
- Fever, nausea, and vomiting
A kidney stone forms when minerals and other materials in your urine bind together to form a small mass. If you are lucky enough to have a small kidney stone, sometimes it will leave your body through your urine without causing any pain or problems.
Unfortunately, some kidney stones are large and very painful. In these cases, it’s best to visit your urologist for treatment. At our Milford office, we may recommend:
- Extracorporeal Shock Wave Lithotripsy, also known as ESWL: This treatment uses shock waves to break the kidney stone into small pieces that can easily pass out of your body. Performed on an outpatient basis and under IV sedation, ESWL is non-invasive, safe, and effectiveyou will need to bring someone with you to drive you home. After the procedure, the small pieces of kidney stone typically pass in your urine within a few weeks.
- Ureteroscopy and Laser Lithotripsy: this treatment uses a ureteroscope, a thin instrument inserted into the urethra which allows the doctor to see the stones. The scope is inserted in the bladder and up into the urethra. Once the stone is found, it is broken up into smaller pieces which can be passed through the urine. No incisions or surgery are necessary.
Need Relief From Kidney Stone Pain? Give Us a Call
To find out more about ESWL and other treatments for kidney stones, talk with an expert. Call Dr. Jeffrey Sternberg of Urology Specialists of Milford, in Milford, MA, today.