How your urologist in Milford, MA, can help with an enlarged prostate.
An enlarged prostate can have uncomfortable symptoms, and you may not want to talk about it. Fortunately, your urologist is an expert at treating an enlarged prostate, so you can be comfortable again.
Dr. Jeffrey Steinberg at Urology Specialists Of Milford, in Milford, MA, offers a wide range of urology procedures and treatments, including treatment for an enlarged prostate.
The prostate will grow throughout your lifetime, sometimes becoming large enough to cause pressure to your urethra. Because of the pressure, your urethra can become narrow. The narrowing of your urethra can cause uncomfortable symptoms like these:
- Problems when you start to urinate
- A weakening stream of urine
- Problems completely emptying your bladder
- Frequent stopping and starting of the urine stream
- An increased feeling of needing to urinate
- Increased urination at night
- Periods of urinary incontinence
Your risk of developing an enlarged prostate increases if you:
- Are over 50 years old
- Have a family history of enlarged prostate
- Are overweight or obese
- Have erectile dysfunction
If you think you might have an enlarged prostate, there are some lifestyle changes you can make which can reduce unpleasant symptoms. You should:
- Lower your liquid consumption at night
- Reduce or eliminate alcohol and caffeine from your diet
- Maintain a healthy weight
For moderate to severe symptoms due to an enlarged prostate, your urologist may recommend medication therapy as a first line of treatment. Medications may include:
- Alpha-blockers which relax prostate and bladder muscles
- 5-Alpha reductase inhibitors which block the production of DHT, the hormone responsible for prostate growth
- Combination medication therapy, with both alpha-blockers and 5-alpha reductase inhibitors
Other forms of treatment for an enlarged prostate include:
- Laser therapy which removes excess prostate tissue
- Surgical therapy to reduce the size of the prostate
You don’t have to suffer the embarrassing, uncomfortable symptoms of an enlarged prostate when relief is just a phone call away. To learn more about the signs, symptoms, and treatment for an enlarged prostate, call Dr. Jeffrey Steinberg of Urology Specialists Of Milford, in Milford, MA, at (508) 473-6333. Call today.